9.23.2009

Makita's Perfect Peach Pie



Last night Emma was not a happy little girl.  Well sometimes 12 year old girls can get a bit moody, and I was not making peach pie the way Emma wanted.  She looked at me as I was slicing fresh peaches into the pie shell, and was mortified the pie wasn't going to be hot.  "Can I microwave my piece?"  she asked.  Heck no!  This is a fresh peach pie that you slurp up cold with lots of fresh whipped cream.  

25 minutes later Emma had eaten her piece, finished baby brothers, and got herself another sliver.  That's my girl.  (She's a very active gal, and she is a good runner too thank goodness:) Emma has been converted to Makita's Fresh Peach Pie with a hint of Almond extract.  It's perfect on a Sunday evening when you have bushels of peaches starring at you.  

Thanks Makita for the idea and recipe.  Makita is my sister Hollie's  other sister from another mother.  They are two peas in a pod, and boy does Makita cook. My dad loves her name too:)  This is a funny little pie story.  When J and I got married almost 17 years ago I remember sitting on the floor of our little apartment opening gifts.  It was so fun, but for someone who is 20 I didn't quite appreciate all that we received.  There were quite a few pie pans and I specifically said to James, "Like I'm ever going to make a pie!"  and then we just laughed.  I thought a pie pan was a silly gift, but I have eaten my words a million times over on this one.  I love to make pies, and my mom says they are pretty dang good too.  So all you young budding cooks, don't disregard those kitchen gadgets.  They may just become your most favorite thing and dang it, you just might learn how to use them too.  

Makita's Fresh Peach Pie

1 9 inch pie crust baked

Glaze:

1 c. sugar
1/2 c. water
3 T. cornstarch
1 T. butter
2 c. pureed peaches
Bring all these together in a saucepan and bring to a boil.  Boil till thickened, about 2 mins.
Cool completely.  Add:

a ton of fresh peaches sliced
1 t. lemon juice
1 t. almond extract (super secret ingredient that makes the entire pie.)

Pour the peach filling into the pie pan and serve immediately with fresh whipped cream.  (I like to put more almond extract into the cream too.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails