9.24.2009

My Mother's Homemade Peach Ice Cream


I had a little get together the other night for the running gals.  Everyone brought all sort of yummy vittles, and we ate like kings.  I was trying to top the night off with a huge batch of homemade ice cream, but it didn't quite work as I would have liked.  I didn't get the machine hooked up just right so after about an hour of it churning, I checked and all I had was a giant frozen glob of cream.  Not edible, but save-able:)  So into the fridge it went to defrost and last night I made successful homemade ice cream.  Delish!

This recipe is my mother's, that may I add, has won a blue ribbon at the Weber County Fair and I think the Utah State Fair too.  Impressive yes?  My mom didn't submit it, a friend of hers did, but hey we can still brag about it though!  We had this every summer when the peaches were on and it was always such a treat.  My mom still makes it up at the cabin with the 1970, blue, vintage, antique, I can't believe it still turns, ice cream maker.  I love to serve it with homemade cookies, especially Snickerdoodles, but last night we ate it as God intended.  Right out of a plastic cup with a plastic spoon, before it had set up hard.  It's is almost shake like, and truly one of summer's greatest gifts.

MaryAnn's Famous Homemade Peach Ice Cream

6 large fresh peaches mashed
3 c. sugar
1/4 c. lemon juice
1 qt. whipping cream
1 qt. half and half
1 can evaporated milk (not sweetened condensed)
1 t. almond extract

Peel and mash peaches.  Add sugar and lemon juice to peaches.  Let stand for about 30 mins.  Put this mixture into a 4 qt. ice cream freezer.  Add whipping cream, half and half, almond extract and canned milk.  Stir well.  Top off with more cream or half and half if you need to.  Stir well.  Freezer should be about 2/3 full.  Freeze with 8 parts crushed ice to 1 part rock salt until the ice cream freezer stops.  Serve in plastic cups with a lovely cookie to go along:)

2 comments:

  1. Lisa,

    I ate six peaches on Monday, four on Tuesday, and two on wednesday! All I have to say is shieach.... love ya!

    Eric

    ReplyDelete
  2. so glad to get this gem! this is the best ice cream.

    can i make requests on this blog? i remember eating your razzleberry pie for a thanksgiving celebration many years ago. i have fondly thought of it since, like every thanksgiving. almost called maryanne for it one time i needed it so much. if you ever get the chance, i would be grateful. i don't know about my hips though ;)you're the best lisa, love the recipes!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails