11.19.2012

The Sam's Ham Sammie

The Great Harvest bakery question I probably get asked the most is, "Who came up with your sandwich ideas?" And honestly I can say..............ME!  Actually my sister, my mom, my dad, cousins, brothers and lots of other places.  I get inspiration from everywhere.   Our best selling sandwich, The Swede Turkey Pesto, was and idea from my sister Hollie, and my brother Marc and his wife Susan.   We had a Clawson Gourmet Night years ago to try out new sandwiches on James' many siblings.  The Swede was named after my cousin Swede who was a baker for us at the time.  Every sandwich is named after an employees or family members.   It's funny how many times our current employees are trying to come up with sandwich concoctions to get their name to a sandwich:)

One of my favorites is the Sam's Ham.  I have two brother in law's named Sam.  Actually they're both Sam Smith's if you can imagine that.  They aren't remotely related, and there is one on each side of my family.   One is the best orthodontist in Boise Id. (Super Smiles Orthodontics) and the other is the best merchant service man in Utah.  So due to that unique little fact, I decided to name this ham sandwich after the two of them.

The actual recipe is an old one my mom used to make for big family gatherings, mission farewells, and the like.  It was originally made with croissant rolls, and had only the poppy seed spread and toasted ham and cheese.  I've seen a lot of variations of it on Pinterest lately, but I personally think my mom made them best:)  I thought this sandwich would be perfect on the Pretzel Rolls I made last week.  Indeed it was perfect.  Now it does give you some serious onion breath, so make sure if you're in to kissing and the like, that you're favorite person eats one too.  Enjoy!


The Sam's Ham Sammie

Rolls (pretzel rolls, croissant rolls, or white bread from you local Great Harvest!)
sliced ham
sliced Swiss cheese
lettuce
tomato
red onion

and the secret weapons.........Special Poppy Sauce!
Apple Butter or Apple sauce!

Poppy Sauce

1 Tablespoon poppy seeds
2 Tablespoons yellow mustard
1/2 cup butter, extra soft
1 Tablespoon minced onion 
1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce

In a small bowl mix all the above ingredients together.  If you have extra just refrigerate it.  It will last a week or two.

Sandwich preparation:  Slice each roll in half and spread a generous layer of poppy sauce on one side of the roll or one slice of bread.  Top with a slice of good ham and Swiss cheese.  Place on a cookie sheet and pop in a 375' F oven for about 7-10 minutes.  Until the cheese is melty, and the bread is toasty.  At the bakery we make this grilled cheese style.  So if you use bread just toast as you would a grilled cheese.  You can eat the sandwiches as is now, or you can top with lettuce, tomato, red onion and a swipe of apple butter or sauce.  I know the apple sauce sounds weird, but trust me, it's delicious!!



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails