11.05.2012

Lindi's Famous Chocolate Sheet Cake

I have a lot of fabulous cooks in my family!  And I love each one of them and especially when they share.  Which they always do:)  My cousin Lindi makes a delicious Chocolate Sheet Cake that she is asked to bring to almost all family get togethers.  I caught her the other day coming out of church and asked for this recipe.  And of course she obliged.  And of course I ran right home and made it.  The kids looked at it with longing eyes thinking it was being made for a specific purpose, but no.  It was for their delight and pleasure.  Actually my delight and pleasure, but I shared.

It's a simple recipe, but the results are fantastic.  I think it actually tastes better the next day.  It's fantastic for breakfast:)

Lindi's Famous Chocolate Sheet Cake

2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup butter
1 c. water
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 eggs
1/2 cup buttermilk or sour milk
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
.
Chocolate Frosting:
1/2 cup butter
1/4 c. unsweetened cocoa
4-6 T. milk
2 to 2 1/4 cups sifted confectioners' sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup chopped pecans, optional
Preparation:

Cake
Grease and flour a 15X10X1-inch silver cookie sheet; set aside. In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
In a medium saucepan combine 1 cup butter, 1/4 cup cocoa, and 1 cup of water. Bring mixture to a boil, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. With an electric hand-held mixer on medium speed, beat chocolate mixture into the dry mixture until thoroughly blended. Add eggs, 1/2 cup of buttermilk, and 1 1/2 teaspoons of vanilla. Beat for 1 minute (batter will be thin). Pour batter into the prepared pan.

Bake in a 350° oven about 22 to 25 minutes for the 15X10-inch pan or until a wooden pick or cake tester inserted in center comes out clean.

Pour warm chocolate frosting over the warm cake, spreading evenly. Place cake in pan on a wire rack; cool thoroughly before cutting. 


Frosting:
In a medium saucepan combine 1/2 cup butter, unsweetened cocoa powder, and 4-6 tablespoons milk. Bring to a boil, stirring, over medium heat. Remove from heat; add 2 cups confectioners' sugar and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla. Beat until smooth. Add more confectioners' sugar or a little milk or more milk, if needed, for a spreadable frosting. Spread the warm frosting over the cake.
Sprinkle 1/2 c. chopped nuts over 1/2 of the frosted sheet cake. 


4 comments:

  1. I was bringing a treat to work once, and for unknown reasons, randomly chose a sheet cake recipe. I was halfway through mixing everything, when I saw the cup of water, and thought, "oh, oh, that doesn't seem right." I kept going, and it was a huge hit - what a lovely textured cake!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa your sheet cake looks beautiful and I sure hope it was yummy! Thanks for the kind words and mentioning me in your post!! Luvs, Lindi

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails