2.13.2012

Sour Cream Chicken

This chicken is my favorite.  I love it, and I can't believe I haven't shared it yet.  Super old standby, but one that never fails.  My mom and grandma used to make this when I was a kid.  We'd eat it for Sunday dinner, one year for Christmas dinner, and my personal favorite was served cold on a picnic.

One summer evening my family and I went to the Sundance Summer Plays up Provo canyon.  We were with another family.  Another family with a lot of boys, that Hollie and I thought were cute.  That didn't stop me though.  I remember my mom and the boys' mom pulling out a cute little picnic quilt, and all sorts of picnic delights.  Fun drinks, desserts, veggies, and this cold chicken.  I ate 4 bossoms by myself.  I just remember thinking it was soooo good, and I could not get enough.  Maybe I was in desperate need of protein, but I just kept eating.  Don't worry, my mom had made plenty.  Others were not going without.  I was just a hungry, growing, extrememly active, 16 year old.

Whenever I make this chicken to this day, I usually make a lot.  The leftover chicken is so tasty, and can be put on a sandwich, chopped up into a pasta, or just eaten straight out of the fridge.  It went very well with the Maddox Rolls last Sunday.

Sour Cream Chicken
aka Savory Baked Chicken
courtesy of the Lion House Christmas cookbook


8 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
2 tbl lemon juice
1 tsp seasoned salt
1 1/2 tsp sage
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 cup butter or margarine, melted
1 cup sour cream
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp paprika
1 1/2 tsp garlic salt
3 cus fine bread crumbs

1. Combine sour cream and lemon juice. Dip breasts in this mixture and place in covered bowl in refrigerator overnight or at least 4 hours. Prehat oven to 325 degrees. Combine all seasonings, then mix with bread crumbs.

2. Grease 9x13 baking pan. Dip chicken breasts in crumb mixture to coat all sides. Arrange in baking pan. Drizzle melted butter over top. Cover with foil and bake for 2 hours. Remove foil and bake an additional 30 minutes to brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails