7.13.2009

Strawberry Shortcake To Sooth My Soul



I bet you can't guess what week this is?  It is the week before the camping trip of all camping trips.  AKA the camping trip with the bears!!  Like the P90X man would say, "I hate it!, but I love it!"  I really do have a nervous knot in my stomach right now just thinking about it, but it is official.  We had the family pow wow to divvy up assignments last night, and all seems to be going as hoped.  

The family going with us this year has been a part of our lives now for a total of 6 hours.  Yes you read that correctly.  A few month ago James came home from work and announced that we were going to take our annual Jackson Lake vacation with complete strangers.  What the heck was he thinking.  Somehow he had struck up a conversation with a guy that came in frequently to the bakery about our favorite place in the world.  I'm sure he pulled out his trusty Dingleberry (Oh excuse me.  I know it's a Blackberry type thingy, but Dingleberry is a much better would for that pesky technological bother.  I hate the thing!) and shared a few photos of last years escapade.  The pictures are pretty convincing.  We didn't get a photo of the large grizzly in our camp. What a shame.  Everything looks really wonderful from the photos.  So over a very delicious Swede's Turkey Pesto sandwich, plans were made for the two families to join and vacation together.  We were going to be bosom buds whether we liked it or not.  Oh those poor Holbrook's don't know what they're in for.  I noticed they have 5 children that are pretty good bear bate though:)  Just kidding!!  Actually they turned out to be a very fun family who we get along with great!  

The planning meeting went very well, and I know I'm going to really like the Holbrook's.   I made a huge fresh Strawberry Shortcake for dessert, thinking I could have some for breakfast today, but to no avail.  Those kids were ziggy piggies!!  They ate the whole thing.  I will admit it was quite fine.  I love cooking for people who really like what you make.  There are just too many times you slave, and then you find a huge chunk of whatever it was you made in the garbage.  Not with these kids.  Camping will be great!  No picky eaters, and they're big eaters too.  What could be better.

The strawberries were courtesy of my garden, and the whipped cream had a hint of almond extract.  The cake is one that James' mom always uses for Strawberry Shortcake.  I've made it for other purposes such as trifle, or just to eat, but it isn't an all purpose cake.  Only use it for Strawberry Shortcake.  That's the only thing it is good for.  I suppose it would be great with fresh homegrown peaches and cream too.  This is the one dessert the Clawson clan allows people to lick their plates for.  I believe Jake licked his plate clean from Buttermilk syrup Sat. but I won't share that:)  The strawberries were just hulled and sliced and I poured a little granulated sugar over them and let them sit a few minute.  They create their own strawberry nectar that is the perfect liquid to soak into your cake.  Generously place a heaping glop of cream on top.  It is heaven on earth.  I hope I have strawberries left in my garden if I survive the bears, because it will be my celebration that we lived!

Bonnie Butter Cake

1 3/4 c. sugar
2/3 c. butter
2 eggs
1 1/2 t. vanilla
2 3/4 c. flour
2 12/ t. baking powder
1 t. salt
1 1/4 c. milk

350' F. oven preheat.  Grease and flour a 9x13 pan.  (I 1 1/2 times this recipe to make a big silver cookie sheet.  It fits perfectly.)  Mix butter, sugar, vanilla and eggs together until fluffy.  Add the dry ingredients in and mix until combined and then add the milk.  Beat for 5 mins. on high.  Pour into greased pan and bake for 45 mins.


2 comments:

  1. Sheesh. If James is handing out invitations to camping trips at the bakery, then we're going to start coming in more.

    We are planning a trip to the Tetons with the Philpots for next summer. Let us know if you're available for hire as camp chef :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i hope you survive lisa! goodness, you are a good wife.....

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails