9.01.2012

Oriental Pasta Salad

Last weekend we attended one of the great Mormon Traditions, the "Farewell".  It's a day of utter pride and joy and happiness.  Not the bad pride, but pride in a young person who has made a decision to serve the Lord for two long years!  Last Sunday we said good-bye to a favorite nephew Brian who will be serving in the Philippines.  He's going to learn a new language, new customs, and live with and teach and serve a people he has never met. But the crazy thing is, they will soon become some of the people he loves the most in the whole world.

I don't think a day goes by that my Jimmy doesn't talk about his mission.  Over 20 years ago he served in Taipei Taiwan, and I still hear new stories about his mission quite regularly.  In my family we've had missionaries serve in Taiwan (James, 2 brothers and a sister-in-law), Ecuador, Argentina, Sweden, Canada, Thailand, England, Africa, and the States.  That's within my pretty immediate family.    So as you can see we've had A LOT of "Farewells".

Future Elder Clawson sporting his "Fabio" look:)

Elder Conrow!  We'll miss you Brian!  Good luck!

Sorry Brian!  Jane may not remember you when you get back.  But we love you still!

Another future Elder Clawson.  He looks a little more respectful than his red headed Fabio bro:)
The after gathering is always so fun.  Family from all over.  Friends from all over, and the cute little girls who vow to wait the two years for their missionary to come home.  I was one of those:)  Yes I was, and I'll just tell you, I wasn't waiting for James:)  The food is always tasty as well.  Everyone usually brings a little something to contribute.

I was assigned a pasta salad.  I got this recipe from my sister Hollie quite a few years ago, and I believe it's from one of her friends or neighbors.  So thanks Eagle girls!  You're always fabulous cooks:)  I've served this many times, and it can be a main dish salad by adding some chicken or you can have it as a side dish.  I even served this at a wedding once and I believe it was a hit.

You can make most of the dish ahead of time and just assemble right before serving.  Enjoy, and the next time you run across one of those cute little Mormon Missionary boys or girls..........be extra nice.   They just might be MY son in a couple years:)  Hey and if you're interested in why we send our baby faced, innocent, 19 year old sons and 21 year old daughters out to every corner of the world, here's a great link!  

Oriental Pasta Salad

16 oz. dried pasta cooked al dente
(I like the fusilli shape, but penne or medium seashells would work)

Dressing:
1 c. oil
2/3 c. Yoshida's terriaki sauce or other terriaki sauce
2/3 c. vinegar
6 T. sugar
1/2 t. salt
1/2 t. pepper

After the noodles are cooked, I place them in a gallon sized Ziploc and then pour the dressing over the noodles.  You'll want to let the noodles marinate a few hours or even overnight.

Once you are ready to serve, place noodles in a large serving bowl and add all the other ingredients and toss well.

1 bag baby spinach
(You can stretch the salad by adding more spinach as well)
1 c. craisins
 2 cans mandarin oranges drained
 2 8 oz. cans sliced water chestnuts
1 bunch green onions chopped
1 c. honey roasted peanuts
1/4 c. sesame seeds
2 c. chopped cooked chicken if you want

Toss and serve!



1 comment:

  1. Good luck to your nephew! And this pasta salad sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails