6.09.2011

June Loveliness

Two little boys on their way to
the last day of school.
Skipping as they go!
School is finally out, and I believe Spring has arrived finally.  Not Summer, but definitely Spring.  I've decided this is the time of year that I stick long dreary winters out for.  It is absolutely beautiful right now.  The lilacs are actually blooming this year.  They have a tendency to freeze before they bloom in Cache Valley, but not this year.  They are heavy laden on every bush.  Kind of like me right now:)  Also the apple blossoms are wonderful, and the chokecherries just came out on Monday.  It smells like honey to me where ever I go.   I've sucked a few white blossoms up my nostrils the last few mornings.  And how about the snow capped mountains still.  There's a great song by Eddie From Ohio that talks about 50 weeks of snowy peaks, and I'll bet ya we'll be pretty dang close to that this year.  It makes for some great pictures though.  We always have a bet in our family to see when the final drift melts off our mountain in back.  It's usually around the 4th of July, but I'm going for a little closer to Aug.  I'll keep you posted on that.  I told my Jimmy the other day that we don't know how to have fun on the boat without snow capped mountains in the background.  How would it actually be to water ski in water that was somewhat warmish?  

My rhubarb is happy this year too.  And the strawberries have been in abundance in my Bountiful Basket.  These two make a lovely combo.  I believe my mom's favorite dessert of all times is Strawberry Rhubarb pie.  I haven't made a pie yet this season, but a Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp was in the line up last week.  I love crisps!  It reminds me of elementary.  And they are just so easy to make as well.  I actually think my favorite crisp of all time was an Apricot Plum Crisp I made last Spring.  Now that was delish!
I hope your Spring/ Summer is starting out well.  We're hoping to get a baby here soon so she can enjoy the beauty as well.  Or maybe it's purely selfish.  I want her here so I can enjoy the rest of the beautiful summer!

Spring Crisp

3-4 c. of chopped or sliced fruit 
 (I did about 3 c. of Rhubarb and 2 c. of Strawberries.  You don't have to be exact.)
1-1 1/2 c. sugar (Depends on how tart your fruit is.)

  Mix these together and place in a 9x13 inch pan.  You can actually cook the fruit for a few minutes on the stove top as well.  I just place it in a sauce pan and bring to a boil.  It will make your crisp cook a ton faster once it's in the oven.  And the more fruit you have the longer the crisp takes to bake.

Crisp
1 cube of butter softened
1 c. of flour
1 c. of oats
1 c. of sugar brown or white
cinnamon as wanted

Cut the butter into the other ingredients until it resembles coarse crumbs.  Sprinkle on top of the fruit and sugar mixture and place in the oven uncovered until fruit is bubbly and the crisp is crisp.  It can take anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour.  My last crisp took an hour, but I had a ton of fruit, and I hadn't cooked the fruit a head of time.  Enjoy hot with a big dollop of whipped cream or vanilla ice cream!  Yum!

1 comment:

  1. Shouldnt little "Lovliness" be making her appearance soon???? I think you should do a post on youe favorate preggo foods.....just sayin. And maybe a belly picture too! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails