11.02.2009

Did I Ever Tell You I Love Soup?


So sorry, but here's another soup recipe.  But it's just so dang good!  When I was little my mom would make what we called Zucchini Soup.  Ok I hated it.  Sorry mom!  Don't take it personal, I just didn't like the stuff.  I remember she made it the night I broke my first arm.  I was in 2nd grade and I was showing off just a tad bit.  It was recess and our school had these bars that had three different levels.  You could do all sorts of twirls around your knee, flips and my favorite "The Death Drop".  When doing the death drop you would sit on the bar, with it just under your bum and then fall backwards, catching yourself by your knees, and then flipping around and other way and landing on your feet.  No hands.  Dang I was good, and I knew it too.  The 6th grade girls were out on the bars that day and I was doing my best death drops to show them up.  Just as the recess bell rang to go back to class I decided to go big or go home.  I did both.  I went big and I went home or to the hospital for a broken wrist.  

Luckily that night on the way home from the hospital my dad stopped at KFC.  I got an apple pie and that was my first experience with a "spork".  Boy was I glad I had that apple pie, because when we got home it was Zucchini Soup for dinner.  I faked not feeling well and didn't have to eat any.  Lucky me!  Zucchini Soup was actually just a kind of Minestrone soup with lots of zucchini.  It was also tomato based.   I just didn't like it.  My mom on the other hand loves it.

So I make my own kind of Minestrone Soup now.  Just how I like it.  No zucchini in it, but plenty of other delicious veggies.  By all means if you like zucchini in your soup add it, but if not, know your in good company.   It also is a broth based soup with chopped tomato added.   I think it looks beautiful too. 

Lisa's Minestrone Soup

8 c. chicken broth
4 cloves garlic chopped
1 large onion chopped
1 T. fresh rosemary
2 potatoes chopped
2 stalks celery chopped
2 carrots chopped
1 c. fresh green beans snipped
1 bunch of kale chopped
1 15oz. can white bean rinsed and drained
1 can Rotel tomatoes
1 fresh tomato chopped 
8 oz. small pasta
salt and pepper to taste
1 large shredded chicken bossom

Bring all the ingredients together except for the pasta and bring to a boil.  Boil until potatoes are tender.  Add the pasta and cook another 10 mins.  Serve with a generous sprinkle of Parmesan cheese and fresh pepper.  I also like to add fresh corn and edamames if I have them.

3 comments:

  1. sounds yummy...my mom loves minestrone too.. and i HATE it.. it reminds me of the cabbage soup diet...anyways I love all your posts..it always makes me giggle out loud...

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love soup, too. Funny thing is that our life revolves around food too. About every significant memory I have, I can tell you what we ate! I still dream (literally)of a place we ate in mexico. Love your blog!

    PS tried the fresh peach ice cream...LOVE IT! and the almond extract in snickerdoodles...I just bought a pint of extact. The ones from the grocery store won't do any more. Love almond!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Soup is my favorite too, especially with a nice loaf of homemade (or Great Harvest) bread.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails