10.31.2009

Apple Tart Anyone?

Breakfast or maybe it was lunch the next day.
Two lovely tarts!

Every Christmas since I've been married to J, there is one treat I especially love, love, love at his mom's.  I eat the whole entire confection by myself sometimes, or I may share it with a sister-in-law or two if they happen to be around.  The one problem I've found though with this dessert is that it never actually makes it to a proper plate.  I just take little forkfuls, or maybe big forkfuls off the giant cookie sheet.  Shameful I know.  

It is a secret long held by we Garner girls.  If you don't actually get a plate of something and just snitch pieces here and there you didn't actually eat any.  I've watched Hollie, my mom, and myself "not eat" a lot of treats in times past, but my mom and Hollie are the only ones that still look like they haven't partaken.  I'll do better I'm sure this year:)

The treat in question here is Darla's Famous Apple Tart!!  Yum, yum, yum!! I love it!  Every Christmas season Darla (who is J's neighbor when he was growing up) comes around to all the neighbors and collects one shiny cookie sheet from each.  She then returns a few days later with the cookie sheet topped with her famous Apple Tart.  It is lovely and actually really easy.  One year after my sister-in-law Deb and I ate the whole tart I gave Darla a call.  Deep down inside I was hoping she would share her recipe.  I hate people who won't share.  I think it is rude and crude, and downright snobbish.  If you have real confidence, you share your recipes with the world, and everyone will know that it is yours.  Especially when you go to some church gathering and someone else has made one of your recipes and they in turn tell everyone that it was yours.  Sweet reward as you humbly say, "Oh no.  Thank you, but didn't so and so do a great job?   It's a great recipe........"  and on and on and you are the secret star and the favorite friend for sharing:) 

Well Darla shared, and I am now sharing with you!   Darla I love your stinking guts for this recipe and I will praise your name forever.  What I love most about this recipe is that it actually makes oodles of tarts.  The apple filling is just a homemade apple pie filling that makes about 12-15 quarts at a time.  Since it's apple season folks why not try.  So whenever I want a tart all I have to do is run down to the storage room, grab a bottle or two of apples, and make a quick pie crust.  By all means you can use a store bought pie crust, but to me that is kind of like using Cool Whip instead of cream, margarine instead of butter, and regular rice in place of Arborio rice.  Shameful, but you won't go to hell for it.  Do what you gotta do.  

Each quart bottle makes 1 tart.  I usually make a recipe for a double crusted pie dough and that will make two tarts.  Roll the dough out as big as you possibly can and then transfer it to a cookie sheet.  Place the apple pie filling on half of the tart and fold the other half over the top.  Wet the edges of the crust and crimp together.  Cut vents into the top of the tart and sprinkle sugar on top.  Bake in a 375' F. oven for 20-30 mins. or until the crust is browned and the filling is oozing out and has puffed up the top of the tart.  I like the tart room temp., but it is great anyway you want.  Sunday we made homemade vanilla ice cream with cinnamon to top the tart.  It was a home run.  

Darla's Famous Apple Pie Filling For Apple Tarts

40 c. apples peeled and sliced

in a big pan dissolve
5 c. sugar
2 1/2 t. cinnamon
2 1/2 t. nutmeg (I leave this out.  Don't get me wrong.  I love nutmeg just not here.)
2/3 c. tapioca or Sure Gel
2/3 c. lemon juice
3 1/2 c. water  (I usually add a bit more.  More like 5-6 c.)

Bring this to a boil.  Stir until thick and yummy.  Turn off the heat.  Add the apples and stir until completely covered.  I usually taste the apples now.  I've found some years I have to add more sugar depending on what kind of apples I have.  Some are sweeter than others.  Darla says her favorite are Macintosh and Jonathan apples.  I use what I can get my hands on.  Adjust the flavor to your liking.  Place the apples in quart bottle with clean lids and seals.  Cold pack can for 35 mins.  Place in your storage room for when the need for an apple tart arrives.  These apples are also great for apple crisp, and on top of German pancakes.  Thanks again Darla!!

2 comments:

  1. OH MY... That looks delicious!! You are awesome Lisa..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes it is great to share recipes. But what about when you share a recipe with some one and they take it to a church function and get compliments and claim it as their own. Or worse they take it to the State Fair and win and claim it as their recipe? waa waa waa
    It's about shareing right?
    You're a good woman Lisa

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails