7.13.2009

Hot Lava Cakes For The Clawson Firework Extravaganza



Now that our marathon 4th of July with the extended Clawson family is over, it is on to our own little fams firework display.  My family never did fireworks on the 4th unless you count sparklers, so I never understood the need to buy one of those overpriced boxes of fireworks at the local grocery store. 
 You feel like you are getting such a good deal when each box is marked 50% off, but really they are raping and pillaging the consumer, while we are trying to create a memorable night for the kidlets!  It works.  I had happy children.  Actually I'm hoping it was the fact that I made Lava Cakes to eat during the firework display:)
I made these cakes for my ma and pa a few Sundays ago, and you would have thought my dad had just eaten his favorite thing.  Of course Uncle Eric said it was the most amazing dessert he'd ever had, but he always says that.  I don't think I believe him much anymore:).  But, Rodney did love them.  Whenever he is in Hawaii he has to eat dinner at Roy's, just so he can have the Chocolate Souffle for dessert.  I've never had it, but even my friend Erin says it is worth the airfare to Hawaii.  Rod thought these Lava Cakes were just as delish!  I got the recipe out of a Kraft Food and Family magazine a year or so ago.  I've never made a souffle, but I believe this dessert is quite similar.   It is really easy, and tasty, and the good thing about the recipe is that it only make 8 little cakes.  Just the perfect amount for the fam and 2 guests.  No leftovers to temp you for the next 2 days.  You know what I mean.  How many times have you made a huge pan of brownies,  served them, and still have half of the pan left over only to find that by the end of the second day there are no brownies left and you were the only one at home that day.  How does that happen.  I know there is a law of physics somewhere that states if you don't actually take a regular sized brownie piece you aren't really eating it, but my butt tells me different.  So enjoy no leftovers, but love every delicious bite of Lava Cake.   We served it with homemade caramel sauce, and brown sugar homemade ice cream.  It was lovely.  

Firework Lava Cake
(adapted from Kraft Food and Family)

1 cube butter (1/2 c.)
1/2 c. semi sweet chocolate chips
1 c. powdered sugar
2 eggs
2 egg yolks
6 T. flour

Preheat oven to 425' F. and grease 8 muffin tins with Pam.  Microwave chocolate chips and butter on high for 1 min.  Stir until chocolate is completely melted.  If you have to put it back in the microwave for a few seconds thats ok.  Stir in sugar until blended and then add eggs and yolks.  Stir in flour last.  Divide between the 8 muffin tins. 

Bake for 11-12 mins until the sides are firm, the top cracks, and the middle is still jiggly.  Don't over bake or you might as well start over.  They just turn into dry yucky yucks.  Pull out of oven and let sit for 1 min.  Carefully run a sharp small knife around the edge of each muffin cup.  I slam my muffin tin over real fast and somewhat hard onto a kitchen towel.  Lift carefully.  You should have perfect little lava cakes now.  Eat immediately.  They are not good left over anyways.  We love to serve them with caramel and vanilla ice cream, but anything would be good.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails