6.13.2009

Gingerbread In June


(I wrote this post Sat. but I didn't get a picture before we ate the whole bunch of waffles.  So thanks to my friend Rach AKA Rachel Ray I stole her picture, but this is what they look like, but the recipe is way different.  It has taken me so long to post this because I've been a pioneer for the last few days pulling a handcart all over Utah!!    So sorry.  I'll be way better.  I've got a few posts just waiting in my brain to have 2 seconds to write.)

What a perfect day for Gingerbread Waffles.  This morning I woke up to the sound of rain pitter pattering on my roof, and I happily snuggled up closer to James for a few extra minutes of sleep. Since the rain had spoiled the "long run" today, James and I headed out a little later when there was a break in the weather for a nice walk.  Did I ever tell any of you I live in the most beautiful place.  It wasn't named Paradise for nothing.  There's a reason!

I decided that this Sat. morning was made for Gingerbread.  I know that sounds a bit festive, or Christmasish, but it is perfect year round.  I just had a cozy little feeling today that screamed GINGERBREAD!  I don't know where my mom got this recipe, but it quickly became a staple at our house for those "special days" breakfast.  The whole house smells fantastic as the waffles are cooking on your iron.  It is sure to wake up any sleepy head with it's enticing smell.  My Grandma Barker used to always make Gingerbread and serve it with sweetened whipped cream with mashed bananas stirred in my mom said.  Today we just slice bananas all over the waffle, drizzle Buttermilk syrup on top, and add a big dallop of whipped cream.  Yum, yum, yum!!! 

 The recipe calls for a lot of butter, and I have learned that butter is the only way to go.  A few years ago I ran into an old friend from High School and her husband. I had recently seen an article about them and how he was Dairy Farmer of the Year or something amazing in a Farm Bureau magazine.  Of course I ran into them in the dairy isle of Macey's as I had just pluncked 2 pounds of MARGARINE into my cart.  He's a funny guy who immediately proclaimed he was ashamed and offended that I was buying MARGARINE, and that he would buy the butter for me if I was trying to be cheap.  How could I even think of MARGARINE when he of all people was a producer of butter.  I was thoroughly humbled, and I hastily put my margarine back, and since then I only buy butter.   Nothing else.  Just butter.   You just never know when a dairy farmer might be watching.  At times like this it isn't "What would Jesus do?" but "What would my local dairy farmer think!"  So if you want to offend my friend Ron Gibson and his hundreds of dairy cows, then by all means use MARGERINE.  Otherwise skip the embarrassment and stick with butter:)  

Of course these waffles are made at Christmas time, but they make major appearances on the 4th of July at the Clawson's, or at our Annual Cousin Campout over Labor Day.  So don't be hesitant to make these anytime of year.  Just make sure it's a rainy day and you have butter on hand!

Gingerbread Waffles

1/2 c. butter melted
1/2 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. molasses
2 eggs
 1 1/4 c. milk
2 c. flour
1/2 t. baking powder
1 1/2 t. cinnamon
1 t. ginger
 1/2 t. salt

Mix all together with a hand mixer and place on a hot greased waffle iron.  Serve with Buttermilk Syrup (here's a link to that recipe), sliced bananas, and whipped cream.  I love to make a huge batch of these and then eat the leftovers at church.  At least we used to.  My kids are now to old to need a snack at church, but maybe I'll stash some anyway!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails