1.24.2014

Quick Kimchi Cucumbers

To be perfectly honest here, I have just barely been introduced to Kimchi.  So if you've never had it, or think it sounds nasty, you are not alone.  I've just always thought............it wasn't good!  I don't know why I would think such a thing since I absolutely LOVE sauerkraut, and this is just a Korean version of pickled or fermented cabbage.

A few months ago I spent the best week with all my siblings and their spouses and our parents in Hawaii.  It was amazing!!!  So much fun!  Talking and laughing, reading, sunshine, and plenty of yummy food.  When I'm on vacation I have a tendency to bring home FOOD souvenirs.  The trip with my family was no different.  I came home with 2 new things I liked and wanted to make at home.

The first "new" thing I tasted was actually just a spice or seasoning.  Furikake.  It's delicious!!!  It's a lovely little sprinkle that I had on quite a few dishes.  It is made up of seaweed, sesame seeds, salt, and sugar.  I had it on rice at the Poke place, but my favorite was some Furikake dusted french fries that came with the best burger in town!


Notice my Kimchi Cucumbers, but also
notice the furikake that is dusted on my rice. MMmmmm!
Prawn Bowl from the Poke Shack in Kona, HI
The second "new" thing I tried was some Kimchi Spiced Cucumbers.  They were a side along with my prawns one day for lunch, and I could have eaten the entire bucket of these babies!  Unlike regular Kimchi that ferments for days and weeks, this was a quick pickle.  It was the crispiness of the cukes, and the spiciness of the Kimchi spice and to me it was just perfection!  I ate it with my rice, and now when I make them at home we eat them with anything Asian.  It would be perfect with this, or this!!!  (And you can sprinkle some Furikake on the rice as well as having these cucumbers on the side.) It would make the perfect pickle on your next hamburger.  Oh my heck!!!  I'm going to do that for dinner tonight!  Here's a link to the Korean Chili Powder I purchased to make the Kimchi Cucumbers.  The Korean Chili Powder is a more coarse grind of pepper.  I'm sure that you could substitute chili powder, or even a little cayenne powder.  I liked the bigger flecks of chili in the pickles, but it's just a food snob thing:)  Also here's a link to Furikake.  Funny thing though, once I purchased my little bottle in Hawaii, and then placed it carefully in my carry-on luggage, I noticed even Walmart carries it.  No need to make a special trip to Hawaii.  (unless you want to.)

Quick Kimchi Cucumbers
recipe adapted from Eating Well

2  cucumbers
1 teaspoon kosher salt
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 scallions, white and light green parts only, finely chopped
1/2 red onion sliced super thin
1/4 t. ground ginger
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
1 tablespoon Korean chile powder (Here's a link to the stuff I bought. )
2 teaspoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon fish sauce (Ok friends just go buy you some of this!  You'll use it I promise, and it lasts forever!)

PREPARATION
Cut cucumbers in half lengthwise and then crosswise into 1/8-inch-thick half moons. Place in a medium bowl and mix thoroughly with salt. Let stand at room temperature for about 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, combine garlic, scallions, ginger, vinegar, chile powder, sugar and fish sauce in a medium bowl.
Drain the cucumbers (discard the liquid). Stir the cucumbers into the vinegar mixture.
 Cover and refrigerate.

Eat immediately or place in the fridge and use within one week:)


James eating his Squid!  I bought him a big bag of thick chewy rubber bands to curb his squid cravings!  Ever since his mission to Taiwan he loves the stuff:)


The boys jumping of The End of The World.


Seriously!  Doesn't this look like heaven?  A huge half circle of family:)


An impromptu game of football on the beach one night.  There may have been a slight broken bone from this innocent game, but everyone on the beach loved watching:)


Sunday evening sunset!  We headed out to watch for the Green Flash.


Almost everyone.


We loved our walks.




The perfect trip!

2 comments:

  1. Sigh - Kona, HI!!!! I didn't get to the Poke shack - dang!
    I must try this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! Thanks so much for sharing this recipe. My sister-in-law (who is Korean) makes these all the time. Now I can make some for myself since she lives a couple of states away.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails