10.10.2013

Thai Coconut Pumpkin Soup

I love soup!  Always have, and I always will.  Whenever I eat out, I most often choose soup over salad.  I should qualify that statement though.  I'm picky, and I'm not going to choose a generic soup.  I'm not going to choose chicken noodle, or even a tomato bisque over a glorious house made Caesar Salad with homemade croutons, and dressing.  BUT I will be persuaded away from that perfect salad by interesting soup options.  Tempt me with a homemade cream of mushroom, or a pumpkin or butternut squash soup.  How about a spicy black bean soup.  If it's out of the ordinary and something I can't get in a little red Campbell's Soup can, I'm in!  Homemade is the key word here.  I won't bother if it's out of a bag, or can.  You know the kind of places you can count on for a good homemade soup.  

In my little garden this summer I planted a small patch of Sugar Pie Pumpkins.  They are absolutely perfectly sized for making 2 pies, or in this case I big pot of soup.  Each pumpkin produces approximately 30 oz. of pumpkin flesh!  Yum!  I saw a recipe on Pinterest the other day that combined some of my favorite flavors together.  Coconut milk, curry, along with the pumpkin.  Interesting, and tasty.  I decided to try my hand at my version of this soup.  I
sometimes like a little more sweetness to my recipes so therefore you'll notice the addition of a couple of apples.  It's good, and it worked perfectly:)  If you need a Sugar Pie Pumpkin to roast just give me a call.  I've got a small trailer loaded.  Or a 30 oz. can will work just fine.

Thai Coconut Pumpkin Soup


  • 3 tablespoons coconut oil (or any oil you have on hand.)
  • 1  onion, diced
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 2 apples peeled and cored and roughly chopped.  I used Gala.  Choose a sweet apple variety.
  • 1 tablespoons curry paste (I used a yellow curry paste.  If you don't have paste, curry powder can be used.  It will be a little different, but close enough.  Curry paste comes in red, yellow and green colors and any will work.)
  • 1/2 t. ground ginger
  • 4-5 cups low-sodium Chicken broth
  • 1 30 oz. can of pumpkin puree or the flesh of 1 Sugar Pie Pumpkin cooked
  • here's a link on how to roast a pumpkin
  • 1 (14-ounce) can coconut milk
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1/8 c. sugar
  • Cilantro or fresh parsley for garnish
  • Pepitas or pumpkin seeds for garnish
  • Cream or sour cream drizzle for garnish


directions:
Heat a large pot over medium-low heat and add coconut oil. Once it's melted, add in the onions and the garlic, and apples with a pinch of salt and stir. Cook until the onions and apples are soft. About 5 minutes. Add in the ginger and curry paste and stir until it is incorporated. Cook the curry and onion mixture for a few minutes.  Add the pumpkin puree. Pour in the broth.  Start with 3 c. and add more later if needed. You can add more for a thinner soup, or less for a thicker soup.    Cover the pot and bring the ingredients to a boil.  Let bubble away for 5- 10 minute or until all the veggies are real tender.  It's easier to blend.  I have an immersion blender that I can blend my soup in the pot.  If not, work in batches and place the soup in a blender and blend until smooth.
 Add in the coconut milk, sugar, salt and pepper, and stir. Cover and cook the soup for 10 minutes until it's completely warm. Taste and season additionally if desired. Garnish with cilantro or parsley, and pumpkin seeds and a drizzle of cream.  
recipe adapted from How Sweet Eats




No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails