7.26.2013

Baked Feta with Tomatoes

We've just returned from a glorious family get together with all my brothers at my parents cabin in Bear Lake UT.  Awesome is the best word to describe it!  We had the entire beach to ourselves for 2 days, and Bear Lake was perfectly calm for us the entire 2 days.  A family reunion miracle:)  We even had 23 people in the middle of the lake for the "Family Swim" as we like to call it.  Everyone jumps into the Blue Raspberry Gatorade colored water, and swims and cannonballs, and dives, and screams and squeals until we are all blue lipped and water logged.  It's the BEST!!  Magic is how I describe it, and it's hard to recreate that perfect moment in time.

Seriously!  Blue Raspberry Ice Gatorade!
We ate some of the best food ever!!  My sister in laws are amazing cooks and all three of them made the best stuff!  I'm talking the best grilled hot dogs on National Hot Dog Day, Street Tacos that were better than any taco wagons, and Gyros to die for.  My sister in law Susan made this Baked Feta one night as an appetizer.  I will be honest here and say, I believe I ate 2 tons of tomatoes with Feta.  This dish was stellar, and is going to be a staple at my house as soon as all those wonderful little cherry tomatoes start coming on.  I've got every shape, size, and color planted and I knew there was a reason for my madness.  It's this recipe.  Utterly easy, and so tasty, and may I say, it was so stinking pretty!  Beautiful actually, and it tasted as good as it looked.  The recipe is from The Sprouted Kitchen Cookbook via The Smitten Kitchen.  In all reality I would measure nothing.  Just add a little of this and a little of that, and as many tomatoes as you'd like.  I don't think you can go wrong with this.  Susan doubled up the tinfoil, and it held up perfectly.  Not a single bit of leakage:)  I'm not a huge olive fan, but I'm starting to rethink that after eating this dish.

You all are going to have a plethora of tomatoes soon.  Some of you may already.  Those of us in Northern Utah are a little behind in that area, but it's coming!  Try this dish out at your next get together, or just the next time you're grilling burgers.  I promise you will love it!!



Baked Feta with Tomatoes and Olives
Adapted, barely, from The Sprouted Kitchen Cookbook

These are only suggested amounts of ingredients.  If you like a little more or less of something then go for it!  You're own personal touch will make it spectacular!!

1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved (We used TONS! Don't stop at just 1 c.)
1/3 cup halved, pitted Kalmata olives
Roasting Marshmallows with cousins.
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
4 T. finely-chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, divided
1 t. dried oregano
1 T. olive oil
1/2 t. salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1 8- to 10-ounce block feta
pita chips, multi grain crackers, Great Harvest Sourdough bread.............whatever sound delish!

In a bowl, mix the tomatoes, olives, onion, garlic,  parsley, oregano, olive oil, salt and a few grinds of pepper.

On a grill: Heat your grill to medium-high. Set the feta block in the middle of a piece of foil. Pile the tomato mixture on top of the feta. Fold up the edges of the foil so that it will hold in any liquid as it cooks. Place the packet straight on a grill for 15-25 minutes to warm it through. (I would cook a little longer to char the tomatoes a bit.) Remove from grill and dig in.  Straight from the foil:)

In the oven: Heat oven to 400°F. Check to see that your dish is oven-proof. (I didn’t!) Place the block of feta in the middle of your dish. Pile the tomato mixture on top of the feta. Bake for 15 minutes.

Feta Cheese doesn't really melt, it just got warm.  It was great as leftovers the next day just reheated in the oven or back on the grill


Perfect Beach Day! Magic!!


Did he make it?  You bet he did!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails