3.11.2013

Lunch Lady Bars

This is actually a repeat post from a few years ago, but it's such a great recipe.  I made them the other day for "The Opening of the Mission Call!!!"  My son Jed will be serving in the Adriatic South Mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latterday Saints!!  He leaves July 3rd and we're all a little stunned. He'll be serving in the countries of Albania, Kosovo, Macedonia, and Montenegro. He will learn Albanian.  Honestly the only thing I knew of these countries was they were embroiled in a deep civil war during my high school and college years. But from the research I've done over the last few days they all seem like beautiful countries, that I'm sure Jed will love.  We've heard so many good things from others who have served in Albania, and travelled there.  Big changes for the Clawson's:)

So here's the recipe for these lovely bars.  I hope they make you happy!!

Previous post:
Oh Lomond View we love you.  You fill our hearts with pride.  Your loyal sons and daughters are forever on your side.  We will always love and serve you.........as long as there are Peanut Butter Fingers for dessert!!  OK so how many of you out there can remember your school song from elementary?  Hopefully someone out there went to Lomond View and was singing along as I sang.  The best thing about Lomond View Elementary was the desserts at lunch.  I'm sure my brother Josh was thinking it was Mrs. Stewart, our favorite 1st grade teacher, but believe me her middle name is actually "Trunchbowl".  She was one mean woman.  The cooks at Lomond View made the best darn desserts in this world making up for every mean thing Mrs. Stewart said. 

I miss all the homemade food that lunch ladies were famous for.  Back when I was in school, every lunch was made from scratch with a lot of TLC.  Even the mashed potatoes were real.  I loved the days that rolls were on the menu.  The whole school smelled like fresh bread.  You couldn't wait until lunch.  The only thing I really had to gag down was hamburger gravy.  Yuck!  but let's not talk about that.  Today my kids eat a lot of processed fried stuff.  Chicken nuggets, chicken patties, corn dogs (don't get me wrong.  I love a good corn dog!), even PB&J sandwiches out of a wrapper.  Everything is heat and serve and nothing is actually made in the school cafeterias.    I vote to go back to the old days when lunch ladies were the domestic goddesses of the school kitchen, and made the most divine desserts ever.

Remember, how every Fri. we had tacos and the most delicious, hot, cinnamon twists in this world.  How about the little specimen cup full of warm chocolate pudding with the perfect dollop of whipped topping on top, or the hot apple crisp with another perfect dollop of whipped topping.  I'll admit, every time I make apple crisp I strive to make it just like those lovely ladies at Lomond View.  The dessert of all desserts though was PEANUT BUTTER FINGERS.  I don't know how my mother did it, but she got her little fingers on the recipe to make those perfect love nuggets at home.  I'm ashamed to admit that I have made these before, but not with such stellar results.  My sister Hollie and sis-in-law Katie make an exquisite Peanut Butter Finger, but I have fallen short in my attempts.  Today was different though.  Today I made the best Peanut Butter Fingers in the whole entire world.  I could have been a lunch lady at Lomond View today.  Hollie would be proud.   Today I had a really good excuse to use up an entire pound of butter in the making of these cookies.  It was Achievement Day at the pool!!  All 8-11 year old girls and a few super fun leaders from my ward spent a warm July day soaking in the sun, splashing in the water, and eating Peanut Butter Fingers for our lunch.  Perfect!

Peanut Butter Fingers 
From the world famous Lomond View Lunch Ladies!

1/3 c. sugar
1/2 c. brown sugar
1 egg
1/2 c. peanut butter 
1/2 c. butter
1/2 t. baking soda
1/4 t. salt
1 t. vanilla
1 c. flour
1 c. oats

Mix butter, sugars, egg, peanut butter, and vanilla together until smooth.  Stir in flour and oats.  Spread the mixture on a grease 9X13 inch pan.  Bake in a 325' F. oven for about 10 minutes until puffed.  Don't over bake.  Cool.  Meanwhile whip 1 c. of peanut butter until slightly fluffy.  Spread on top of cooled cookie.   Top with fudge frosting and let sit in refrigerator for a few hours.  I actually doubled the whole recipe and baked it in a silver cookie sheet.  There was a little cookie dough left over and a little frosting, but it turned out great.  

Fudge Frosting

1/2 c. butter
4 T. cocoa
3 T. milk
1 t. vanilla
1 lb. powdered sugar

Cook all the ingredients on the stove except for sugar and vanilla.  Cook until the butter is melted and the sauce begins to bubble around the edges.   Beat in the powdered sugar and vanilla.  I couldn't spread the chocolate without ruining the peanut butter so I poured the frosting out in ribbons and it turned out great!


9 comments:

  1. Hey Lisa;
    I don't know if you remember me from school, Sara (Barney) Urry? Maybe you do. Anyway, I have been following your blog for the last couple of years, love your recipes and humor! I thought I would post and tell you that I have a cousin who served in Albania 5 or so years ago. I don't know if you need any more information about where your son is going, but I would be happy to pick my cousins brain for you if you do. By the way congratulations to your son and to you entire family! That is so awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sara! Thank you so much for commenting. How are you doing? I hope things in your little world are good:) You know a week ago we had never heard of the mission Jed was called to and now the missionaries are coming out of the woodwork. A cute lady in our ward served there, my sister in laws sister served there, and a few others. I may hit you up for talking to your cousin down the road. We're trying to glean as much info as possible. It's so exciting, but scary at the same time. Thanks for the kind compliments about my blog. IT absolutely makes my day:) xoxo Lisa

      Delete
  2. That is so awesome to hear. Lisa my little brother James served in Albania. He loved it :)
    So exciting.
    Love, Heidi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heidi!!! I didn't know your brother went to Albania! The only missionaries I've talked to have been sisters and they were pretty protected. They all served right in the capital Tirana the whole time. I'm kind of getting the impression the Elders serve in a little more remote locations. Especially now since the other 3 countries are included in the mission. Would you mind asking your James how cold it really gets, and how remote of areas he served. Jed's packing list makes it sound like he will be cold. And also if your brother road a bike? The sisters all walked the whole time and Jed is just interested. I Love you!!! I loved talking with you and Abby after Christmas. The quick picture of the three of us pops up on my computer quite frequently, and it just makes me smile!! Enjooy that beautiful AZ weather:)

      Love, Lisa

      Delete
  3. Hi!

    What a great recipe!!! I was looking for something different that is made with peanut butter and chocolate to make and send to my missionary son. When I read your blog about the occasion for which you made these for, I was stunned! That is the mission that my son is serving in...the Adriatic South Mission.

    He has been serving since October 2011. He absolutely LOVES, LOVES, LOVES (did I say LOVE...Haha) his mission. He can never get enough of it. He has been in three of the four countries in the mission. They are all wonderful places full of history. The people are so kind and love Americans. I know that your son will absolutely LOVE this mission too. I can never say enough good about it.

    Thank you for sharing this recipe and congratulations to your son...a future Adriatic South Missionary! May the Lord's richest blessings shower upon your family during his preparation and time of service.

    Most Sincerely,

    Cyndy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cyndy!!! What a treat it is to get your comment this morning!!! Thank you so much for the wonderful words about the Adriatic South Mission. We are all so excited but I can tell Jed is a little nervous about the location of his call. It was just so out of the blue. From what I can tell the mission is beautiful, and we've talked to a few sisters who have served there and they have loved it! I am so glad to be able to find out a little more from an Elder. Especially one that has been in the other countries. Not just Albania. I didn't know if the Elders served in just one of the 4 countries, or all. The sister's we've talked to spent all of their time in Tirana. They never left the capital. So their perspective is a little different. I would love to talk to you if you would feel comfortable about that:) I've got a few questions on my mind. Here's my email address, and my cell phone too. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! What an exciting day!!

      xoxo
      Lisa

      lisa@greatharvestlogan.com
      435-890-8788

      Delete
  4. Greetings! My name is Benson Gunther. It's quite likely that you have no clue who I am. I just thought I'd post because I, too, have been called to the Adriatic South Mission, and leave July 3rd, the same day as your son Jed. Anyhow, if you wouldn't mind replying, I'd like to know more about your son Jed, and possibly get in touch with him some how before we leave to the MTC. Thanks a bunch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well Elder Gunther, Congratulations!!!! Thanks so much for commenting on the blog! My son Jed is really excited about this call, but I can tell he's a bit nervous too. He's actually in Lake Powell for a few days, but as soon as he gets back I'll have him get in touch with you. Jed is turning 18 this Sat. and then it's going to be a whirlwind few weeks going to the temple, being ordained and patriarchal blessing. Crazy!! If you have an email that Jed could send you a note, that would be great! We live in Paradise, UT which is by Logan. I've been wondering how many other Elder's and Sister's would be reporting to the MTC the same day as Jed. Thanks again for getting in touch with us, and good luck the next 22 days getting ready.

      Lisa Clawson

      Delete
  5. Oh Lisa! I wanted to make these tonight for our Sunday Night treat...searched on Pinterest and BAM! There's your recipe. You're so famous and I love it!!!
    -Stacey Swan

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails