12.29.2012

New Years Noodles

I know what I'm having on New Year's Eve.  How about you?  Nope it's not Prime Rib, steak, shrimp, or anything of the sort.  It's going to be my favorite meal on the planet.  My Granny B's Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup!  Now these noodles are truly tradition. The first gal I know who made them was my great granny on my moms side. Her name was Viola Telford, but we always just called her Grandma Great. My mom has an old photo of her and her sisters up somewhere near Morgan making these noodles al fresco (outside). It is a great pic. They're all in there dresses and aprons rolling and cutting noodles for another great family meal together. Grandma Great then passed this tradition onto my grandma Barker and what a treat that has been.

Grandma Barker wasn't the warm fuzzy kind of granny who would squeal and hug the guts out of you, but she loved you in her own way. She never gave big gifts for birthdays or Christmas, but she never forgot your birthday either. I think I was her favorite (OK so Hollie really was but that's ok) because every birthday she would call me and tell me to come over for a little something. At her house sitting on the counter would be big brown grocery bag filled with noodle especially for me!! I know it took her hours to make those noodles, but Grandma knew they were my favorite thing in the world. Just shows she really did love me best! I would take them home and my mom would fix a big pot of Chicken Noodle soup for me. I loved it. I loved Grandma Barker.

My kids now love this noodle soup as much as I do.   It was one of them that suggested this soup for New Years.  We're going to be with family, and trust me, my brothers are going to be in childhood heaven once they start slurping! Here's to a fantastic 2013!!

dough balls

rolled as thin as possible

cut as thin as possible

Grandmas Noodles

3 c. flour
7 eggs
2 t. salt

Mix all the ingredients together and form into 5 balls. Let the dough rest a few minutes. Roll each ball into a thin sheet. Let sit until almost dry.  This part takes awhile.  I usually set my convection oven to 150' F. and drape the noodle sheet over a rack until somewhat dry.  Otherwise you're going to be waiting hours for the sheets to dry.  You don't want them completely dry or they just crack and break when you cut them.  Still pliable, but dry enough that they don't stick together.  When dry cut into 2 1/2 in. strips and then cut into super thin noodles. Let dry. When ready to cook, bring a pot of water to a boil. Add noodles and cook 5 mins. Drain noodles and add to chicken broth. Serve with shredded chicken, green onions, and bug juice. (soy sauce) Serve with blueberry muffins.

2 comments:

  1. I found your blog through Pinterest, and this soup sounds so good! Is there a way to subscribe to your new posts by email?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sitting here at work with one clementine in my purse and dying for this soup!!!! In fact, as I scrolled through your last 5 entries I kept getting hungrier. Stop (not really), I am suffering.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails