11.26.2012

Roasted Tomato Rice Bisque

This is a delicious soup.  My mom loves this soup.  I found this recipe YEARS ago in a Martha Stewart Living Mag.  I've changed it up quite a bit to suit my tastes.  It is so simple, yet has such a great flavor.  I made this a few weeks ago with the last of my cherry tomatoes from the garden.  They actually lasted into the first part of Nov.  It's always such a treat to eat homegrown tomatoes through Nov.  Don't think that roasting tomatoes is a necessary step to make a tasty soup.  It's not.  It was just something I thought I'd try.  If you have a ton of extra tomatoes then try this step, otherwise, canned tomatoes work amazingly well.  Enjoy with some hot bread or a grilled cheese sandwich.  And curl up by the fire and watch a good movie:)

Roasted Tomato Rice Bisque

2 T. butter
1 T. Olive Oil
1 onion chopped
2 t. dried oregano
2/3 c. rice
salt 
pepper
32 oz. canned chopped tomatoes (or a cookie sheet full of roasted tomatoes)
4 c. chicken broth
2 c. milk, or half and half, or cream

Melt butter in a saucepan with oil.  Add onion and stir until transparent.  Add oregano, rice and, 1 t. each salt and pepper.  Stir until the rice is coated in the butter and the oregano is fragrant.

Add tomatoes (I usually puree the canned tomatoes a bit.  If you're using the roasted tomatoes place them in a blender or food processor with a little stock and buzz them up a bit.  I like a little chunk, but my family doesn't like big chunks. ) and chicken stock.  Bring to a boil and let it bubble slowly for 20 mins. or until the rice is tender.  If the rice has soaked up too much juice add a little more chicken stock if you want.  Stir in milk or cream and add more salt and pepper if necessary.  Sometimes I add more milk, just depending on how creamy I'm feeling:)  Serve with a great crusty bread or grilled cheese.  Serve with Parmesan Cheese.

Roasted Tomatoes

On a large silver cookie sheet place a single layer of tomato chunks or cherry tomatoes.  Drizzle with a little Olive Oil and sprinkle of salt and pepper.  Place in a 425'F oven and roast until the tomatoes are a little browned on the edges.  Probably around 20- 25 mins.  Make sure you get every bit off the pan.  It's full of flavor.  You can add this to the soup, or make a pasta sauce out of it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails