9.14.2012

To Frost Or Not To Frost (Banana, Zuchinni, Carrot Bread with Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting)

That is the question?  So dang it............what to do?  And those of you who know me well will see that I frosted.   My family's new favorite bread recipe is being shared today, and as you can see I did frost.  I figured since the batter was placed in loaf pans, then it technically isn't a cake and therefore frosting isn't THAT indulgent.  It just added a little bit of pizazz to a lovely loaf of bread.  (And if you remember correctly, the fact that vegetables are included in the recipe makes it completely healthy.)

The bread today will make use of all that extra zucchini you have growing in the garden.  I've picked quite a few lunkers that have turned into monsters.  We've shot arrows at them, floated them down the river, and dressed them up as babies.  One of the best uses for those zucchini has been this bread.  (Here's a link to my other very FAVORITE zucchini recipe.)  I've made it 3 times in the last month or so, and yes I've frosted each loaf.  The yummy sounds can be heard from clear down the road.

The recipe I used to make this lovely bread was my fabulous neighbor's, mothers Banana Bread recipe. I've found that it's perfect!  Nothing compares.  Simple in its preparation, yet I believe it's the best Banana Bread recipe around.  So today I simply improvised.   This is a key technique that once you try it you become addicted.  No need to recreate the wheel when you can just add some sparkles so to speak.  Feel free to add other additions as well.  Today, right as I put the loaf pans in the oven I had the thought that coconut would have made this bread outstanding.  Maybe I'll try that next time but for now here's the best bread in town.  (Of course next to the Honey Whole Wheat down at Great Harvest on Center St. in Logan:)  And trust me.  The cream cheese frosting is just dang tasty!  I hope you give it a try, and let me know how it turns out:)  Love your guts!!

BZC Bread with Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting
(that's Banana, Zucchini, and Carrot Bread)
Recipe from Ruth!  Bless her heart!

1/2 c. shortening 
1 c. sugar 
2 eggs
1 c. mashed bananas 
1 c. shredded zuchinni
1/2 c. shredded carrot
1 t. salt
1 t. baking soda
2 c. flour
1 t. cinnamon (optional)
1/2 c. chopped nuts

Cream shortening and sugar.  Add eggs, bananas, zuchini, and carrots.  Add salt and soda to flour and add to the first mix.  Add nuts.  Bake at 350' F. for 1 hr. 15 mins.  This makes one big loaf.  I use a Camp Chef cast iron bread pan and I love it.  I grease and flour the inside of the pan.  Also really watch and make sure the middle of your bread is done.  Check it with a toothpick or skinny little knife.  It may take longer to bake depending on you oven and pan size.  Good luck!  


Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting

8 oz. cream cheese
1 stick or 1/2  c. butter
zest of 1 lemon
drizzle of milk
4-5 c. powdered sugar

Place the cream cheese and the butter in a bowl and whip until smooth.  Add the lemon zest, powdered sugar and a drizzle of milk.  Mix frosting very slowly until the powdered sugar is combined and then beat the heck out of it.  Add more sugar until the desired consistancy to frost.  This will usually frost 3 loaves of bread:)


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails