8.09.2012

Suzie Q's Awesome Fresh Corn and Basil Salad

July was a WHIRLWIND!  Can I get an amen for that.  I can count on one hand how many days my children have all been home at one time.  Maybe it's the fact that the last three weeks I haven't really even been a resident in Paradise.  My bed is always delicious when we come home from one adventure or another, but I must say, July has been a month of wonderful fun!   We've waterskied on some beautiful waters, eaten some wonderful food, and visited with loved ones who we just...............LOVE!  My family gets together every 24th of July for a reunion of sorts.  It really is the only time we are all together at one time the whole entire year.  Siblings live all over, we're OFF on our Thanksgiving rotations, and Christmas's we just take who we can get.  So therefore the 24th of July is "The Garner Holiday".  It may be Pioneer Day for the rest of the state of Utah, but for us it is family time.  I always enjoy it so much, and I cry every time it is over.  I hate leaving them all.  You spend so much time with such wonderful brothers and a sister growing up and I hate that they aren't all my next door neighbors.  In heaven I'm putting my order in that we will all live next door to each other:)

Among all the wonderfulness of being together, the food was soooo tasty!  We each took a few meals, and not a single meal was bad.  Chocolate Chip Pancakes with Buttermilk Syrup, Yogurt Parfaits, Dutch Oven Potatoes, Navajo Tacos, Burgers and salads galore.  It was delish!   Today's post is about a Fresh Corn and Basil Salad my Sister-In-Law Susan made one night.  We couldn't get enough of it.  Since gardens are producing, and corn is starting to tassle, I thought this would be a great summer recipe.  My garden is bursting with basil right now, and corn will be plentiful!  Enjoy making this recipe and enjoy having family around.  Happy Summer!!


Fresh Corn and Basil Salad
Ingredients

5 ears of corn, shucked
1/2 cup small-diced red onion (1 small onion)
3 tablespoons cider vinegar
3 tablespoons good olive oil
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup julienned fresh basil leaves
Directions
In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook the corn for 3 minutes until the starchiness is just gone. Drain and immerse it in ice water to stop the cooking and to set the color. When the corn is cool, cut the kernels off the cob, cutting close to the cob.

Toss the kernels in a large bowl with the red onions, vinegar, olive oil, salt, and pepper. Just before serving, toss in the fresh basil. Taste for seasonings and serve cold or at room temperature.



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails