11.18.2011

Homemade Butterfingers!


One of my favorite friends posted that she had made homemade Butterfingers on her Facebook status a few weeks ago and I was instantly intrigued.  I LOVE BUTTERFINGERS.  They're my favorite candy bar on the planet and I could eat them forever and ever and never get sick of them.  And I trust this friend of mine.  She makes the most "thigh twitchin' good"  treats ever!   Thigh twitchin' good is her expression, and sometimes that is exactly what some food will do for you.

These Butterfingers turned out really fun.  And tasty too I may add.  My kids, who of course have followed in my Butterfinger loving steps, were definitely happy children.   You can make these into bars, but I followed my friends suggestion and made them into balls and then dipped them.  Before they harden up, they're the consistency of cookie dough therefore making Butterfinger Balls very easy to makes.  The candy never sets up quite as crispy as a commercial Butterfinger, but they still taste super.  These might just  be the new big hit on your Christmas goodie platter.  I hope you have fun making them!!


Homemade Butterfingers
Recipe from all sorts of places, but I think Taste of Home is the official starting point for this recipe.

1-½ cup Smooth Peanut Butter
16 ounces, weight Candy Corn
12 ounces, weight Chocolate Candy Melts or chocolate chips

In a large bowl, measure out smooth peanut butter. 
In a large microwave safe bowl, nuke the candy corn for 1 minute. Stir, and microwave again 20 seconds at a time, stirring until candies are completely melted. They will be very hot, be careful.
Whisk the peanut butter and candy corn until evenly combined. The candies will cool rapidly and the mixture will appear kind of grainy. Don’t worry, this will help achieve the crunchy texture.
Pour mixture into a foil-lined 9×9 inch baking dish. Place in the fridge to cool completely, about 30 minutes. Remove from the dish and cut bars into 1×2-inch rectangles. Or in my case I left the dough in the bowl and as soon as I could handle the candy I rolled the "dough" into balls and then dipped them.
In a double boiler, heat chocolate melts until smooth and melted. Stir frequently to avoid scorching the chocolate. One by one, dip the Butterfingers into chocolate, and tap off excess chocolate. Lay out on foil to finish cooling. Repeat until all bars are coated. Drizzle bars with additional chocolate if desired.  The longer they sit the harder and crunchier they get.  Keep in an airtight container and enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails