10.27.2011

Pumpkin Spice Scones

I am finally in to fall.  It came yesterday.  Maybe it was the fact that Jimmy and I flew in yesterday from a lovely holiday and had a little layover in Denver.  Denver was smack dab in the middle of winter.  5 inches of snow on the runway.  Planes waiting forever to get de-iced, and cold white stuff falling.  I decided right there and then that Fall is AWESOME!    I will love it as long as it will stay.

We came home to happy kids, (they were actually excited to see Jane's tan) a very clean house, raspberries still waiting for me to pick, (Yeah!!) and one last pretty stale Pumpkin Spice scone.  Our little babysitter Rachael is a great cook.  We Face Timed the kids one night right in the middle of making these scone and I was sure glad there was one left for me to taste.  Stale or not, these were so yummy!  I would have never thought to make Pumpkin scones.  I like berries, or cinnamon chip in mine, but I will forever be grateful for Rachael's scones.

My house now smells amazing, and I am happily enjoying eating my Pumpkin Spice Scone and loving Fall.  I should do this more often.  Enjoying the now, not wishing for tommorrow:)  Love ya!


Rachel's Pumpkin Spice Scones

Ingredients
2 cups all-purpose flour (can use 1 cup AP flour and 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour)
1/2 - 3/4 c. sugar  depends on how sweet you want them
1 T baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/4 c cornmeal
1 cube cold butter
1/2 cup pumpkin puree
3-4 T heavy cream
1 large egg


Directions
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F, and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the flours, baking powder, salt, and spices.  cut butter into the dry ingredients with your fingers or a pastry cutter.  

In a liquid measuring cup, whisk together the heavy cream, pumpkin, and egg.  Add it all at once to the dry ingredients and mix quickly with a fork until moistened. Knead it in the bowl several times to gather any dry crumbs into the dough.

Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and pat it into a 1-inch thick disk. Cut into 8 wedges and place on a baking sheet. Brush the tops with cream and sprinkle with sugar if you want.  I drizzled a glaze on mine when they were warm.

Bake for 15-18 minutes, and serve warm.

Cinnamon Glaze

1 c. Powdered sugar
1/2 t cinnamon
 1-3 T milk

Combine together and add more milk to thin.  Drizzle on warm scones.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails