7.05.2011

Red White and Blue Razzleberry Shortcake

I have had an abundance of kindness shown to me the last few weeks.  Actually it started way before Jane was even born, and it has made me exceedingly grateful for wonderful friends and family.  I am truly blessed to know sooo many stinking kind people.  I don't think I know any mean people.  Maybe just one mean lady at the temple last year that made me cry, but James says she was probably just having an off day.  I'm sure she's nice at heart.   Our little family has been fortified and fed by some great people over the last weeks, and I want to thank them all from the bottom of my mixing bowl as Jimmy would say:)  

One of my favorite treats we received, came from my fabulous neighbor.  Now remember I only have one neighbor so she can totally be fabulous.  She fixed a huge pot roast dinner with all the goodies, but dessert was my favorite.  It was a new recipe she tried, and I loved it.  James loved it as well.  It was light, and summer-y and chock full of fresh raspberries.  Maybe that's why it was so dang delish!  So when Colette made the dessert she just used a can of Grands refrigerator biscuits and brushed the tops with melted butter and a sprinkling of sugar before baking.  They were wonderful, and easy she said.  I tried a scratch biscuit and it was lovely as well, but by no means necessary.  The Grands were great too.  So try these babies out with all the fresh berries coming on.  I just picked my first gallon of strawberries out of the garden so this recipe is going to be made with strawberries very soon.  I know raspberries will be starting soon as well so enjoy.  I can eat a biscuit for dessert after dinner and again for brekky.  They're that good.  Enjoy!!


Red White and Blue Razzleberry Shortcake


1- 8 oz.  brick of cream cheese at room temp.
Whip until smooth
1 c. or a little more cream whipped and lightly sweetened to your liking.  Mine were barely sweet.  
a little vanilla

Combine the whipped cream and the creamed cheese together.  Fold in:

1-2 pints of fresh raspberries or any other berry of choice.  I put in a pint of raspberries and a pint of blackberries, but blueberries or strawberries would be lovely.  Mangoes would be good too with pineapple for a little tropical shortcake.


Shortcake Recipe
Courtesy of Alton Brown but I've adapted it a bit

2 1/2 cups flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2  c. sugar
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons shortening
3/4 cup half and half (or milk)
Melted butter to brush shortcakes
Sugar to sprinkle on top
Directions
Heat oven 450 degrees.

In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt and sugar. Cut in butter and shortening. Mix in half-and-half. Drop by large spoonfuls onto a baking sheet. Brush with melted butter and sprinkle with sugar. Bake for 15 minutes or until brown. Cool and cut each biscuit in half.  Fill with a heaping spoonful of the cream cheese, berry and cream mixture.  Top with the lid of the biscuit.  Eat and enjoy.  I found that the recipe made 8 perfect sized Berry Shortcakes.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds perfect! We picked our first raspberry this morning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That shortcake looks totally delish! I have a sweet treat linky party going on at my blog till Monday and I'd love it if you'd come by and link your shortcake up. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2011/07/sweets-for-saturday-25.html

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails