3.23.2011

My Mama's Lasagna

Lasagna assembled, but not baked yet.
There are a few things in this world that I think my mom makes the best.  She makes the best gravy on the planet, the best Dilly Rolls, the best Sunday Dinner, and the best dang Lasagna in the world.  I love it!!  When I was a kid Spaghetti or Lasagna for dinner was a huge treat.  Usually it meant that company was coming over, or it was a special Sunday dinner.  My mom would make a homemade spaghetti sauce that made the entire meal.  It would simmer and bubble for an hour or more, and always tasted so wonderful.

Baked and ready to eat!
A few weeks ago a friend of mine called and asked if I had a good Lasagna recipe.  I do, but it has never made it to the blog until now.  There is another lasagna somewhere amongst my posts, but it is way to labor intensive, and when all is said and done........it just ain't worth it!  This is the lasagna recipe to end your searching.  Of course it is always better with a big yummy green salad, and some hot Great Harvest Sourdough bread, but again I may be a bit biased.  Don't hate me for that.  I hope you enjoy my mother's lasagna.  I know my family does!




MaryAnn Garner's Marinara Sauce

1 lb. hamburger fried with 1 chopped onion (drain fat)
1 lb. Italian Sausage fried with hamburger (my mom doesn't add sausage.  She hates it.)
1-2 qts. stewed tomatoes (I use 2)
2 small cans tomato paste
1 t. dried basil or a bunch of chopped fresh
1 t. dried oregano
1/2 t. cinnamon (secret ingredient.  Don't add if you're making lasagna.  Only for spaghetti.)
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 c. sugar (this is my addition.  My mom doesn't add sugar, but I think it cuts the acidity from the tomatoes)
1/2-1 c. cream or half and half (this is another Lisa addition.  I only use it if I'm using the sauce for spaghetti.  Not lasagna.)

Bring all the ingredients to a simmer for at least 1 hour.  Serve over spaghetti or make lasagna from it.

Lasagna

1 recipe marinara sauce
1 12 oz. box of lasagna noodles cooked (Sometimes I am lazy and just place dry noodles in the lasagna.  I will usually add 1 c. of extra water to the sauce for the noodles to absorb.)
16 oz. cottage cheese
2 eggs mixed into the cheese
Mozzarella cheese 
Fresh spinach leaves (optional)
pesto sauce in the cottage cheese (optional)

In a 9x13 inch pan place a thin layer of sauce.  Top with 5 or 6 noodles.  Layer the cheese mixture over the noodles, and then top with sauce.  Repeat 2 more times.   Sometimes I put a layer of spinach in the mix too, or I will put in 1/4 of a cup of pesto into the cottage cheese mixture.  Just some ideas.  Cover your lasagna with foil and I usually bake my lasagna for 60 minutes in a 375' F. oven.  The last 15 minutes I will take off the tinfoil and sprinkle with the Mozzarella cheese and bake until melted and bubbly.  Let the lasagna sit for 10 minutes to firm up a bit.  Serve with a delicious salad and warm bread.  Yummy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails