1.13.2011

New Year Traditions

What would New Years Day be without the 1.2 mile sledding hill?  I tell you what.  It would be dull.  I don't know what the rest of the world does on New Years Day, but your welcome to come next year to our outing.  Just make sure you bring your own Radio Flyer because we don't share!  This year there were two other groups who were sledding as well.  They weren't kids though.  I've never seen grown men fly down a hill faster except on the luge at the Olympics.  Luckily there weren't any casualties.  Next time though I think we're going to wear our ski helmets.  Safety you know!

This year we had my brother and his family, and even grandpa took a turn on a sled.  The traditional New Years food was wonderful as well, and we all waddled back to our own homes when the day was over.  Can I just tell you that I love the snacks.  Katie made a great cheese ball, veggie tray and my mother's chestnuts were delish!!  For New Years Eve I even made my granny's homemade Chicken Noodle Soup!  What a way to start the year.  It doesn't get any better than this!

Bacon Wrapped Water Chestnuts

2-3 cans whole water chestnuts drained
1 1 lb. package of bacon

I usually place the bacon in the freezer for a few minutes to really get it firm. I then cut the slices into 3 pieces right through the plastic. You're going to need a lot of toothpicks. Wrap each little chestnut in a coat of bacon and secure it with a toothpick. Place the chestnuts in a
9 x 13 inch pan. Once all of your chestnuts are wrapped top with BBQ sauce or make your own like we do.

BBQ Sauce

1-2 c. ketchup
1/2 c. brown sugar
squirt of mustard
1 t. Worcestershire sauce
vinegar splash

Stir all ingredients together and pour over the chestnuts. Bake in a 375 ' F. oven for 30-45 mins. or until the bacon is done. The tops of the toothpicks will turn brown so watch out for that. Enjoy every New Years Eve or Day for the rest of your life.


3 comments:

  1. i made your yankee doodle. i kinda have a love/hate relationship with it. i love it so much that i had to give the rest of it away after i had munched and munched for 24 hours. i think i gained 3 pounds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look so super yummy, I am totally coming next year!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, congratulations on #5! Your blog is so fun! Stop by and see us if you are ever up by Rexburg way!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails