8.30.2010

The Banana Bread Quest Is Over

Ruth's Best Banana Bread On The Planet!  
I did it!  I think I found the best banana bread recipe on the planet.  I had it all along, I just didn't know it.  If you remember from a few posts ago I love banana bread and I just hadn't found the right recipe yet.  I was looking for something like the one we make at Great Harvest, but I was looking for love in all the wrong places.  I thought it might be in fancy recipes with packets of pudding added, or the recipe with orange juice and almond extract, or how about sour cream, or tons of oil.  Nutmeg or citrus zests--I was just about to give up when my Jimmy tells me, "keep it simple." He repeats the recipe to me that he uses at the bakery and I'm instantly reminded of my neighbor Colette mother's banana bread recipe.  It's so simple and straightforward.   It can not be this easy, but guess what--------it is!!  The trick I have found comes in the bananas.  Loads of bananas!

When James makes banana bread at the bakery we use a ton of the worst looking bananas you've ever seen.  I remember once having the responsibility of peeling the bananas one Monday night for the Tues. banana bread special and being amazed at the state of banana ripeness I was witnessing.  They were pure black and frothy.  Frothy!  Can you imagine.  The bananas were actually turning a little liquid-y, they were so ripe, but oh do I remember the banana bread the next day.  It was lovely and delish and I couldn't get enough.  I used this technique the other day in the making of my banana bread.  Oh and the other thing--a lot of bananas.  The recipe I use calls for 2 whole cups of mashed bananas.  Most recipes call for 2 or 3 bananas, but I've found 2 whole cups of really ripe bananas has been equivilent to 5 or 6 bananas.  That's the secret---plenty of bananas and a simple straightforward recipe.  I hope you love it as much as my family does.  It's wonderful!


Ruth's Best Banana Bread

1/2 c. shortening (I use butter)
1 c. sugar (I use brown sugar)
2 eggs
2 c. mashed bananas (Don't skimp or it will just be ok banana bread not spectacular!)
1 t. salt
1 t. baking soda
2 c. flour
1 t. cinnamon (optional)
1/2 c. chopped nuts

Cream shortening and sugar.  Add eggs and bananas.  Add salt and soda to flour and add to the first mix.  Add nuts.  Bake at 350' F.for 45 mins.  This makes one big loaf.  I use a Camp Chef cast iron bread pan and I love it.  I grease and flour the inside of the pan.  Also really watch and make sure the middle of your bread is done.  Check it with a toothpick or skinny little knife.  It may take longer to bake depending on you oven and pan size.  Good luck!  Oh it's really good with chocolate chips in it too!

1 comment:

  1. YES!!!!!! I always think banana bread needs Chocolate Chips!!!!!!!!!! Everything needs chcolate chips actually :) I will have to give this a go. I have 2 surely frothy black bananas on my counter now! I will wait for a few friends to join them. Hey, I came home from Utah and told Melanie about the AMAZING chicken salad that I had at the shower. PLEASSSSSSEEEEEE send me the recipe and also how to make the spicy yet sweet pecans. It was so fun to see you when I was in Utah!!!! Love you tons :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails