5.22.2010

Pooh Cookies

I think these cookies may be one of my favorite things.  I have a cousin that as a kid I absolutely adored.  I still love her!  She was 5 years older than me, but she still played with me and my sister and her two little sisters every day in the summer when we were kids.  We would canoe in my grandpa's pond, ride bikes on the "Roller Coaster", take long walks to the Love Bridge where we would write the name of the boys we loved,   climb every tree at the family park, and run around without combing our hair all summer long.   I learned from my cousin that lemons and rhubarb were delicious with salt, and every Fri. night we'd watch Solid Gold, Love Boat and then scare ourselves to death watching Fantasy Island.   I had the best growing up.

A few of my all time favorite foods like cheesers, and tuna patties were introduces to me by this cousin.  But the one food that always brings a smile to every one's face is Pooh Cookies.  I realize that technically these cookies should be called No Bake cookies, but that is just boring.  They taste 10 times better if you call them Pooh Cookies.   It makes you feel a little scandalous.   All of a sudden plain becomes extra ordinary.  I made these cookies for some Achievement Day girls last week, and the name brought smiles and giggles to every face.  Shock someone the next time you make these cookies.  Call them what you know you've been wanting to call them forever, but you just felt a little too modest, and refined.  Pooh Cookies are perfect!  Thanks Netty and I love you're stinking guts!!  PS you better come to the family reunion!!  I've missed you!


Pooh Cookies

2 cups sugar
1/4 c. corn syrup
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup cocoa
pinch salt
1/2 cup butter
1 cup peanut butter
2 cups quick-cooking oatmeal
1 c. coconut

In large saucepan, combine sugar, milk, cocoa, salt, and butter and mix well. Bring to a boil and wash down the sides of your pan to get all the sugar crystals.  Stir mixture and bring it to a boil that can't be stirred down for 1 minute. Then remove from heat and stir in peanut butter until smooth. Add oatmeal and mix well. Do not use regular or instant oatmeal; quick-cooking oatmeal is essential to the success of this recipe.
Let the mixture stand for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally to let the oatmeal absorb some of the liquid.

Drop mixture by spoonfuls onto waxed paper or parchment lined baking sheets or Silpat sheets. Let cool until you can touch the mixture; then reshape the cookies to make them more a ball shape if you want. Let cool completely; store at room temperature. You can also pour this mixture into a 9" square pan that has been greased with unsalted butter, let cool, then cut into squares.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Lisa,

    My dad called them Gaggies or Cow Pies growing up. They are yummy!!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails