1.06.2010

New Year


So what do you do on New Years? I love staying home with the kids, the same New Years dinner, cold shrimp, and roast beast, Speed (the card game, not the drugs), bacon wrapped water chestnuts, drinking nasty apple juice at midnight, kissing James and all my children at midnight, a cold winter walk in the morning after my long winter's nap, and finally taking pictures of everyone as they sled down the 1.1 mile hill. Traditions!

Really- the sled hill is 1.1 miles long and a blast. I don't sled. I'm a giant chicken, plus someone has to drive the truck down after them to pick up any blood and carnage and bring the happy sledders back up the hill. I took one for the team. I'm the best mom!

And finally the best New Years tradition.........Bacon Wrapped Chestnuts. I'm sure you've had them, and if not, you are a poor unfortunate soul. I'm sorry. You could always make them for Martin Luther King Day.


Bacon Wrapped Water Chestnuts

2-3 cans whole water chestnuts drained
1 1 lb. package of bacon

I usually place the bacon in the freezer for a few minutes to really get it firm. I then cut the slices into 3 pieces right through the plastic. You're going to need a lot of toothpicks. Wrap each little chestnut in a coat of bacon and secure it with a toothpick. Place the chestnuts in a
9 x 13 inch pan. Once all of your chestnuts are wrapped top with BBQ sauce or make your own like we do.

BBQ Sauce

1-2 c. ketchup
1/2 c. brown sugar
squirt of mustard
1 t. Worcestershire sauce
vinegar splash

Stir all ingredients together and pour over the chestnuts. Bake in a 375 ' F. oven for 30-45 mins. or until the bacon is done. The tops of the toothpicks will turn brown so watch out for that. Enjoy every New Years Eve or Day for the rest of your life.

4 comments:

  1. Did these for the first time this year BIG HIT!! Barbara taught me over the phone. She had me broil them a bit before putting the sauce on and baking. Helped them not to be too fatty!! I was told they are YUM YUM YUM..... I am not a big waterchess nut fan..... I know I know.... crazy me!! HAPPY NEW YEAR LISA!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a fun blog, Lisa! I'm going to have to try some of these delectable treats. I think I gained 5 more pounds just looking at the pictures! Your teriyaki chicken recipe from 13 years ago is still one of our family's favorites!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the new look. And your search for recipes is awesome. I'm impressed.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails