12.22.2009

What Do You Call These Cookies?


Well when our family was in New York a few years ago visiting the Food Network Studio and Kitchens, Emeril called them Russian Tea Cakes. I've heard them called Mexican Wedding Cookies, Snowballs, Pecan Sandies........same cookie, just different names. I don't really care what they're called. I just wanted to eat one the other day. I have only made these a few times. You have to be in the mood for them, and even then, you need to have a place to take them because they aren't the kind of cookie you could eat the whole batch like say a Gingersnap. I was craving them the other day though. The reason for the crave was the famous Christmas Recital was that day.

Each year for Christmas my boys have a recital to showcase their amazing talents:) Each family is asked to bring a plate of cookies to share after the recital. Last year as I was eyeing the cookie table I spied these little Mexican Wedding cookies. I usually only have them at Christmas time, and I was excited. I walked over to the table and gently grabbed a cookie. My friend must have seen the whole scenario because right as I was opening my mouth to take a powdered sugar bite she said, "That's not what you think it is!" She knows me well.

Pew! Yuck! Sick! It was actually a day old powdered sugar doughnut hole sneakily masquerading as a Mexican Wedding cookie. The bite went into the garbage as well as the rest of the doughnut hole. I could have said a swear word, but I didn't since we were in the church, but I lost my appetite. I didn't eat anything else. I was dis-a-point-ed! So this year I made sure there were Mexican Wedding cookies at the recital. I made them, and I ate one or two. That's all I needed to satisfy my hankering.

Russian Tea Cakes according to Emeril
Recipe from Food Network

  • 1 cup butter, at room temperature
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup sifted confectioners’ sugar, plus more for rolling cookies
  • 2 cups flour
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup finely chopped pecans or walnuts

Directions

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.

Cream butter in a large mixing bowl. Add the vanilla then gradually add the 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar, beating until light and fluffy. Sift the flour, measure, then sift again with the salt. Add gradually to the butter mixture. Add the pecans and mix well.

Shape the dough into 1-inch balls and place 2 inches apart on ungreased baking sheets. Flatten slightly using the bottom of a glass, then bake for 20 minutes, or until edges are very lightly browned. Remove the cookies from the baking sheets and roll in powdered sugar while still hot. Cool on wire racks and roll cookies again in powdered sugar before serving.

Once they are completely cooled, cookies may be stored in airtight containers for up to 1 week.



2 comments:

  1. I've always known them as Mexican wedding cookies/balls, too, and they are my very favorite cookies EVER! Masquerading donut holes, not so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We always called them "sandies" and they were a must at Christmas each year for me. Early in my marriage, my mom even made me make them each year for our family party because I was the one that always said we HAD to have them. Didn't get to them this year. Sounds so good, though... Hmmmm....where's my powdered sugar?

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails