12.28.2009

Three Holiday Desserts #1 Gingersnap Fruit Pizza


A little bit of summer in a slice.
I think the pomegranates look like rubies.

I'm on a Sweets overload about now. I'm going on an extreme diet Sat. or at least I have good intentions. I have three desserts though that I am excited to share. These are treats only made for Christmas therefore making them all the more special.

I thought everyone has had fruit pizza in there life, but we had a neighborhood Christmas gathering the other night and one of my neighbors had never had this delicacy before. (Now those of you who know where I live, please notice I use the word neighbor loosely. I realize I don't have neighbors in the way most people do, but I do have people that live relatively close. They can at least hear me when I am screaming at my children or worse a husband. Any house in my line of sight is considered a neighbor. There's only a few of us up this little canyon.) The neighbor who had never tasted fruit pizza is from North Carolina. Maybe that has something to do with her never tasting the delights of fruit pizza, or maybe she's just never lived. Well now she has.

This was a holiday inspired/Hollie inspired Gingersnap Fruit Pizza. My sister Hollie came up with the idea last Christmas. It's wonderful. The Gingersnap crust is delicious as a cookie, but add fresh fruit to that, and you're remembering warmer days in the sun. You forget that it's -2' F. outside, and that your boogers freeze the minute you step outside to jog. You're in a state of bliss for a few minutes. You could always make this at your next neighbor gathering, or maybe you're gathering for New Year's. I've actually heard you can consider Fruit Pizza a health food. There's so much fruit involved we won't worry about the frosting or cookie crust. You know it's kind of like my favorite vegetable of all......Carrot Cake!

Gingersnap Fruit Pizza

Gingersnap cookie:
3/4 c. butter
1 c. sugar
1 egg
1/4 c. molasses
2 3/4 c. flour
2 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt
1 1/2 t. cinnamon
1/2 t. ginger

Combine the butter, sugar, egg and molasses together until creamy. Add the dry ingredients. Mix completely. Pat the cookie dough into a large silver cookie sheet. Bake in a 350 'F oven for 10-15 mins. Until the crust is puffed in the middle. Don't over bake. That's bad. Once the crust is cool top with frosting.

Frosting:
1 8 oz. package of cream cheese
1 c. powdered sugar

Beat until combined. Fold in 1 8 oz. container of Cool Whip. Mix until combined. Spread on top of cooled crust and top with your favorite fresh fruit.

Kiwi
Strawberries
Raspberries
Blackberries
Mandarin Oranges
Fresh Pineapple
Pomegranate Seeds
Grape
Sliced Bananas
Whatever tickles your fancy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails