3.05.2009

The Super Secret Fugde Recipe



This is the best story! A few weeks ago while we were vacationing with James' mom and dad, I don't know how we got on the topic of food. It never crosses my mind. Anyways, James' mom was telling me about this great new fugde she made at Christmas. Now any of you out there who don't know Eileen (AKA James' mom) she is the master candy maker. Every Oct. she starts her holiday ritual of talking about the wonderful little bites she'll be making this year. Her toffee is divine, and the chocolates are perfectly beautiful. She must dip hundreds of pounds of chocolates each year to share with only her favorite people. We happen to be 6 of those favorites. We get a beautiful array every year and I try to make it last as long as possible. This year I hid our platter until mid Jan. (Out of sight, out of mind) On a glorious Sat. up skiing with the family, out came the famous chocolates. What a treat, eating those little love nuggets in the great outdoors. Even the horrible Black Walnut Creams tasted good up skiing. Don't worry, I have told Eileen about my very great dislike of Black Walnut Creams. She still likes me:)

Needless to say the only Christmas that I haven't gained weight at the Clawson's was 14 of them ago. I was barely pregnant with Jed our oldest son and I found sweets to be very nasty and untasty. Isn't it ironic, the year you don't care about getting a bit chubby you just can't stomach a chocolate. I've made up for that year many times over I am sure.

So on to the fudge. Eileen's sister Barbara has a famous fudge recipe that is the talk of the sisters. I was able to winkle it out of Eileen as long as I didn't tell the recipe or especially blog about it. Off to the store I went to buy the necessary ingredients. It called for a can of evaporated milk so of course I bought the Western Family brand. It was 29 cents less! After gathering everything I needed, I began cooking and mixing the ingredients. I was just imaging the final results. As I poured the can of milk into the pot my little eye spied a recipe on the label of the evaporated milk can. I love recipes on labels. I have found quite a few favorites this way. Low and behold the recipe was for "Western Family Old Fashioned Fudge". It was the exact recipe I was following, but my recipe was supposed to be "Ancient Chinese Secret". Isn't that the best. Now I don't feel even a little bad blogging about the fudge. Yep. Now the world knows.

The fudge is delish might I add!! It made a huge pan. The cute bag of fudge is going to another of my 5:00 a.m. running gals! I tell you, I can always find a good reason to cook. Collette is turning 29 again today. Happy Birthday Collette! 29 was such a great year. I think I will do 29 forever. So again, I will make anyone a glorious treat if you will come running with me at the crotch of dawn. (Actually very predawn. We have never actually seen the sun on our runs in the morning:)) I will even share my families extra secret, sacred, Western Family Old Fashioned Fudge recipe with you too!! Enjoy!

Western Family Old Fashioned Fudge (AKA The Clawson Secret)

4 c. sugar
1 12 oz. can Western Family evaporated milk (not sweetened condensed)
2 1/2 c. mini marshmellows

Bring everything together in a big pot and bring to a boil. Once it boils, boil for 8 mins. Meanwhile in your mixing bowl add:

2 1/2 c. chopped dipping chocolate ( or chocolate chips)
1 c. butter

Pour hot mixture into chocolate and butter and whip until everything is melted. Add:

1 t. real vanilla
1 lb. whole nuts (I used pecans)
1 1/2 c. more mini marshmellows

Mix again until marshmellows melt. Pour into a buttered cookies sheet. The big silver ones. Allow to cool for a few hours. It makes a ton of pieces. 176 to be exact. But who's counting.

Now according to the Clawson's, when you have a secret you aren't supposed to share, make sure when you do share you tell that person only to tell there favorite friends, and tell them to do the same. A secret among friends is always safe!!

1 comment:

  1. Lisa,

    How do you not weigh two tons? You can't make crap like that, especially 176 pieces and not eat at least 88 yourself, even if it is just one little nibble at a time. You are amazing. I love all your great ideas though, and I'm sure I will make and eat them all.

    Love ya,
    Hollie

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails